Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Politics... not the black and white kind

Originally posted Novmber 12th, 2008



So I was inspire by my sister's blog about her passion for rocks (she's a Geology major and she's one of those crazy rock people... I didn't get it until I read her blog)

I'm a Political Science Major. I am a Junior at ISU and I LOVE it! I first found out that I was good at debating early in life... ask my mom. My debating skills were a little rusty but still pretty good. I moved into Jr. High when I started CARING about what was happening in the world and thinking that if people would just learn and discuss then maybe the world would be a better place (I am older and wiser to know better now) but in my green days I was an idealist. I took a Street Law class from Mrs. Olsen at Grace High School and that's where I fell in love with law, government, and particularly family law. I had always told people that I was going to go to college and become an attorney but I only know that it was a "desireable job" (now I know it's because of the Benjamins and no other real reason). But now I know that that was where my heart was. I was in my Junior year when I was approached by Deloris Gilbert of the American Legion Aux. to apply for a scholarship to Girls State. I had no idea what it was and all I was told is that I could get a scholarship for school, it was only a week and it was in Nampa... cool, I filled out the paperwork and no one else had any interest in it, so I got to go.

I stepped off of the bus in Nampa and my life was forever changed. I didn't know what to expect so I thought, what the heck, dive in head first. I walked away with an understanding of government, particularly state government, how legislature works, I was able to sit in the Capitol and speak my opinion and know that it was heard. I returned to my little old school with a heart full of patriotism, love for our veterans, and total appreciation for democracy itself.

I entered college and it has been a bumpy ride, but finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I have chosen to become a teacher instead of an attorney. My very first proffessor asked us all how many of us were planning on attending law school and most of us raised our hand... he said something that will always stay with me



"They don't teach justice at law school, they teach law"



I knew in my heart that I didn't want to stand in a room and truly understand the implications of what my job required me to do without any regard to JUSTICE.

So last summer I returned to where it all started... Nampa, Idaho the campus of NNU and I passed on my love and admiration for this country to a group of girls that I will always consider "my girls" as a counselor at Girls State. Hopefully I will be able to participate in Gils State for many years to come.

The rest is history... "blink"

Stay tuned for Fall 2010 when I graduate!!!!

No comments: